What are cookies
Cookies are small text files that are stored on your computer while you browse a website or use a web application.
Such files contain various types of information designed to enrich the functionality of a website (such as for online purchases or customizing messages in accordance with one's preferences), to collect statistical data and, in general, to improve the user browsing experience.
Types and purpose of cookies
There are various types of cookies, which have been classified in accordance with their characteristics and methods of use, as per the following:
Session cookies / Permanent cookies
Session cookies are stored temporarily on your computer while you browse a site (e.g. to keep track of the chosen language). Session cookies are only stored for a short period and are deleted when the browser is closed.
Permanent cookies are, by contrast, stored on your computer for a long period of time, in accordance with the expiry date set when the cookie is created. Such cookies allow websites to store information for future visits to the site by a user, perhaps to avoid making the user enter his or her access details each time.
First-party cookies / Third-party cookies
First-party cookies are created by the websites themselves (the same domain as the one indicated in the browser's address bar) and can only be read by those websites.
Third-party cookies are, by contrast, created by domains other than those indicated in the browser's address bar, that is, by organisations that are not the owners' of the website. Such cookies can be used, for example, to collect information for advertising purposes, to customize content and to track visits to the site.
Technical cookies / Profiling cookies
Technical cookies are essential for the proper functioning of a website or application. The absence of such cookies might cause improper functioning or no functioning at all.
Profiling cookies are designed to collect and store information about a visitor (e.g. the pages visited, any searches done etc.) to provide focused advertising that is more likely to be of interest
Third-party cookies used on this website
This website might install one or more third-party cookies on a visitor's computer as per the following:
Integration of Facebook services offered on the site, including widgets and the share button.
Monitoring and analysis of website traffic to obtain statistical data and to profile visitors.
How to delete cookies from your computer
Cookies can be restricted or blocked by changing the settings in your browser.
The following paragraphs provide details of how to delete cookies already installed on your computer using the most common browsers.
For additional information, please consult the browser user guide.
- On the Start screen, touch or click on Internet Explorer to open Internet Explorer.
- Swipe in from the right edge of the screen and then tap Settings.
- If you are using a mouse, place the cursor in the lower right-hand corner of the screen, move it upwards and then click on Settings.
- Tap or click on Options, and then under History, tap or click Select.
- Select the Cookies check box, and then tap or click Delete.
- Click the menu button and then choose Options.
- Select the Privacy panel.
- Under the History Settings item, select use custom settings for history.
- Click on the "Show Cookies" button. The Cookies window will appear.
- In the Search field, type the name of the site whose cookies you want to remove. The cookies that match your search will be displayed.
- Select the cookie(s) in the list to remove and click the "Remove Selected" button.
- Click "Close" to close the Cookies window.
- Click the OK button to close the options window.
- Select Edit | Reset Safari
- Check that the following check boxes are selected:
- Empty Cache
- Remove all cookies
- Click Reset
- Close and restart the browser.
- Click on the Chrome menu in the browser's toolbar.
- Select Settings.
- Click Show advanced settings.
- In the "Privacy" section, click on the Content settings button.
- In the Cookies section, you can change the following cookies settings:
- Click on the All cookies and site data dialog.
To delete a specific cookie, hover over the site that issued the cookie with your mouse, then click the X that appears on the right corner.
How to block third-party cookies
For further information on third-party cookies and to block those cookies, the following section provides details of the owners.
Data owner: Facebook Ireland Limited, Hanover Reach, 5-7 Hanover Quay, 2 Dublin, Ireland ("Facebook").
For further information: https://www.facebook.com/about/privacy/
Data owner: Google Inc., Amphitheatre Parkway, Mountain View, CA 94043, USA ("Google").
For further information: https://www.google.com/intl/it/policies/privacy/
To block cookies: https://tools.google.com/dlpage/gaoptout?hl=it